September 8, 2009

Project #2: Become a Food Critic

I, like many the average person, am not totally thrilled with my job. I’ve got a good job. A solid job. A regular paycheck sort of job. It’s not the best of jobs, it’s not the worst of jobs. It’s a far far more average job than any job I’ve had before.

I like to daydream about changing jobs.

So, in my ongoing effort to be more than the average person, I consider what would be a spectacular job. What sort of job would make me leap out of bed in the morning. (“Leap out of bed in the morning for” is about as high a rating as I can give something.) In my list of possible dream jobs: famous writer, famous musician, lottery winner, and food critic.

Oh yes. My name is Anne and I’m a foodie. Or, at least, a wannabe foodie. I am what happens when someone belongs to Weight Watchers® and watches too much Food Network©. That is to say, I obsess about food. I love food. I love junk food. I love gourmet food. I love all the food in between. I love talking about food. I love eating food. They should make me a food critic.

I see the latest food critic to be introduced on Iron Chef America and I wonder, “How do you get that job?!” According to about.com and other such sites, in order to become a food critic I need to write well and know everything about food and the food industry. It’s all downhill from there, I’m sure. The various online help-yourself sites advise practice. Practice. Practice. (Apparently, this is the solution to everything.)

So, the point of this entry: expect to see me write about food in the near future. I gotta get some practice in before Iron Chef calls.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I notice, however, in your dreamy list that, when it came to food critic, you demoted yourself from "famous" to (just) food critic. Why sets your sights so low? You're already legendary to your readers - why not leverage that all the way up?

    Famished and ready...

    ReplyDelete